Monday, September 27, 2010

I'll admit

I'm a little downhearted about wedges. This is the first thing that I havent totally rocked, and it makes me sad.

For those who are not in the luthier world, let me explain that bow hair is held in pretty much by wooden plugs in wooden holes. Unfortunately for we luthiers, the wooden holes are not square or in any very sensible shape, but in any case the goal is to fit a tiny piece of wood to go into a tiny hole, and thus secure the hair. So, if the wedge, or plug, is poorly done, the hair wont stay, and the player will be grumpy because their bow hair will explode all over them during a key moment in their concert.

So, learning how to shape these tiny pieces of wood is delicate and frustrating, and we all quickly realized why no one really wants to make a living rehairing bows. It's really a pain in the butt.

But: I have completely dominated knots, and tomorrow is another day.


Also I have a cold.

1 comment:

  1. hope you feel better quickly! and as annoying as I know it can be, it's okay to not be perfect at something :-)

    ReplyDelete