Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The bow gods are smiling on me once again

I had a really discouraging day yesterday. I felt like I didn't get anything done and may as well have stayed in bed and not gone to school, which is what I was tempted to do anyway.
Come to find out today that it was the bow that was the problem, after redoing it for a THIRD time and not being able to figure out why it wasn't working as well as it had been before, when I know that I'm not doing anything horribly wrong. (better each time I redid it, so at least I got the extra practice. But I was fixing the wrong problems)

Anyway, today was much better, I finished the problem bow, and completed two more. I'm almost finished with the required bows for this class, which is good. We have to do 10 rehairs. The first bow we rehair three times. Then among the next few, there is a french bass bow, a german bass bow, a Glasser bow, and a few other violin bows, and then whatever we get the lowest score on she makes us do another of that. I have completed 8 so far, and the class goes on for another week. (Until next wednesday)
Unfortunately, to get an A in the class, you have to get several "attagirl" (or attaboy if youre a boy) bows in a row, which no one has done. She grades them out of 60 points, on every aspect of it, and an "attagirl" would be 58/60. (Closest I have gotten is a 56 - yay me!) But, the majority of the class is hanging out in the 40s. But there's hope for me yet - after the 10 are completed, we just practice on violin bows until the end of the mini-mester (wednesday). So, plenty of time to earn an attagirl grade.

Rehairing bows is like working with small children. They each have their own quirks, and some of them are easy and loveable; some of them are monsters and you want to kill them, and you are relieved to give them back when you are done with them. Endlessly frustrating when its wrong, and endlessly satisfying when its right.

No comments:

Post a Comment